Re: [Xen-devel] compilation errors for remus sch_queue for 2.6.31.13-pvo

To: Andreas Olsowski <andreas.olsowski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] compilation errors for remus sch_queue for 2.6.31.13-pvops
From: Brendan Cully <brendan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 14:18:18 -0700
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 14:19:09 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thursday, 17 June 2010 at 10:00, Andreas Olsowski wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I run Xen 4.0 with 2.6.31.13 pvops dom0 kernel.
> My kernel sources reside in /usr/src/linux-2.6-xen, the xen sources in
> /usr/src/xen-4.0.0.
>
> Since i did not compile a kernel in the xen sources (just did make xen
> tools install-xen install-tools) it does not automagically compile the
> kmod stuff for remus.
> So if i wanted to compile it while compiling xen i have to edit the
> Makefile of tools/remus/kmod:
> KERNELDIR = /usr/src/linux-2.6-xen
> The linux/config.h part leads me to believe that this module was
> intended for 2.6.18, but since xen is "shipped" with 2.6.31 this should
> not be. Especially since the fault tolerance via remus is one of the
> biggest features of 4.0.
>
> Due to a lack of documenation i am unable to compile the kernel module.
> Shouldnt the module be part of the kernel and not of xen anyway?
>
> How should i proceed, is there some documentation on how to compile the
> sch_queue module for 2.6.31+ kernels?
> One user on #xen on freenode told me that he had a running 2.6.32 kernel
> with working remus but he used his distribution packages, so its not
> impossible i guess.
>
> On a side note: Why does the README in the remus directory point to the
> remus project website? That hasnt even been updated since last year and
> just has way too little information.
> I would be willing to write more detailed stuff for the xensource wiki
> once i get remus to work.

You're right, Remus shipped with Xen 4.0.0 only supports linux
2.6.18. xen-unstable has the patches required to run Remus on pvops
dom0. I'll ask Keir to backport those patches to 4.0. They should be
safe and should apply cleanly, since they don't touch non-Remus code.