Re: [Xen-devel] Cannot load latest 2.6.32.10 kernel on AMD quad-core

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Cannot load latest 2.6.32.10 kernel on AMD quad-core
From: Gerry Reno <greno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 02:32:46 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 23:33:49 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gerry Reno wrote:
Boris Derzhavets wrote:
Then i would try to disable backend drivers ( block,blktap,network)
and rebuild the kernel for test in DomU.

Boris.

Ok, I disabled packet and inet and now getting a different error. Something about address collision and BAR 3, can't setup and message about ACPI_PSS objects. So I google this for a while and find that many many other AMD users having similar messages/problems with the newer kernels. It seems there is some problem between ACPI and PIIX4 SMBUS. No BIOS update seems to fix it. Maybe a BIOS issue that needs a quirk. This particular machine has MB: Gigabyte GAMA790GP-UD4H w/AMD Phenom II X4. I've tried noacpi on boot line but didn't help. Any suggestions?

-Gerry
I just booted the Lucid kernel 2.6.32-21-server standard kernel and it has similar messages but it will boot fine. Where the powernow-k8 BAR 3 error is, instead of saying 'can't setup' like dom0 kernel, it says 'can't allocate resource'. "Cool n Quiet" (freq scaling) is OFF in BIOS with this machine which isn't a problem for this machine since it is a small server. Once again, any suggestions to compiling a bootable kernel?

-Gerry