[Xen-devel] 4.1 feature request: block device throttling/scheduling

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] 4.1 feature request: block device throttling/scheduling
From: T Johnson <tjohnson46@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 12:13:32 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 09:14:24 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:date:received:message-id :subject:from:to:content-type; bh=eBIjANugYouHfL1MoBkCjyOKT16Vit8X+jfVCmw/DwI=; b=rBuPh50HFWX+uNft/gry/p39eVtDwORgFB+YOuDViGPy/WjNmNDMbQQZ8Pcz2apigo MsIVXZMkkgAU7nZZTkTjO53/x2cCooUhAFb/UHrgRnlRFdAPewqkOAeh5+XsfsGfZDXR AGmLtx/dwSbP3Jw9/pMW/XV0b/M40WOX+pJaY=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

This has already been added to the request list on the wiki, but I wanted to send a quick post here as well if there were any questions or comments.

I have problems from time to time with guest VMs using up a lot more of my storage network than I would like. More than just priority scheduling, I would like to be able to tune how many read/write operations per second a VM can perform. Right now, without this ability on my storage network, I can end up having a VM that should be lower priority using up a lot of storage IOPS and starving everything else on the storage network.

In an ideal world I could specify that vmX can perform Y writes per second and Z reads per second (since sometimes reads can be less expensive than writes)

Please let me know if you have any questions. Adding something like this in would be *greatly* appreciated.

Thanks,
Thomas