Re: [Xen-devel] Xen CPU limit?

To: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen CPU limit?
From: Martin Lukasik <martin.lukasik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:16:36 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 02:17:12 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
I think the number of virtual cpus (vcpus) per guest is (was) 32,
and now in Xen 4.0.0 you can have up to 64 vcpus per guest.

The max number of physical cpus is 128 or so..

When I said "CPUs" I meant the number of physical CPUs (or strictly speaking: cores) visible by Dom0. I thought I got my RPM from RedHat's repo, but there is a possibility that I'm wrong here... and I thought that Xen won't support more than 32 cores. I'm not really after setting up 48 cores for one virtual machine, just wanted to be able to have all 48 visible in Dom0 (and then have up to 16 per VM).

Thanks for the answers; interesting read.

Kind regards,
Martin

Martin Lukasik                                    tel: +44 20 7269 3115
Bioinformatics Officer
Bioinformatics and Biostatistics
Cancer Research UK, London Research Institute
44 Lincoln's Inn Fields, London, WC2A 3PX, UK

This communication is from Cancer Research UK. Our website is at
www.cancerresearchuk.org. We are a charity registered under number 1089464 and a
company limited by guarantee registered in England & Wales under number
4325234. Our registered address is 61 Lincoln's Inn Fields, London WC2A 3PX. Our
central telephone number is 020 7242 0200.

This communication and any attachments contain information which is
confidential and may also be privileged.   It is for the exclusive use of the
intended recipient(s).  If you are not the intended recipient(s) please note
that any form of disclosure, distribution, copying or use of this communication
or the information in it or in any attachments is strictly prohibited and may
be unlawful.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify
the sender and delete the email and destroy any copies of it.

E-mail communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free, as
information could be intercepted, corrupted, amended, lost, destroyed, arrive
late or incomplete, or contain viruses.  We do not accept liability for any
such matters or their consequences.  Anyone who communicates with us by e-mail
is taken to accept the risks in doing so.