[Xen-devel] Shared memory and event channel

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Shared memory and event channel
From: Ritu kaur <ritu.kaur.us@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 10:58:51 -0800
Delivery-date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 10:59:49 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

This is related to my other thread(ioctls) but thought this subject mandates a seperate thread by itself. Below is what my understanding, inputs and correction will be very helpful

1. in order to setup shared memory rings and event channels a frontend(running in domU) and backend(running in dom0) drivers are required.
2. these drivers registers with xenbus, monitor for a device creation in xenstored.
3. when devices are created, xenbus invokes backend/frontend probe functions which then triggers xenbus state machine.
4. before xenbus state machine gets into connected state, shared memory and event channels are setup and using hypervisor calls can be accessed.

My understanding is one has to use xenbus(registering and monitoring for device creation) mechanism to setup shared mem rings and event channel between dom's and there is no other way to do it.

If I had to write a new driver I should have a new device name and my driver will monitor this device via xenbus. In order to have new device supported, I have to modify xapi toolstack, so it looks like lot of changes has to be done to support this. I wish to be wrong here. If there is an alternate mechanism to do it I would like to know. Inputs much appreciated.

Thanks