[Xen-devel] xen.git plans

To: Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] xen.git plans
From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 12:59:29 -0800
Delivery-date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 12:59:50 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

I thought I'd give a quick update on my plans for xen.git for the next couple of months.

Firstly, I'll be taking ~3 weeks off over Christmas/NY, so nothing much will happen until I get back.

Current state:

xen/master:

   This seems to work fairly well for most people.  I merged blktap2
   support prematurely; it definitely isn't ready for use yet (it does,
   however, work enough to allow some enterprising person to debug, fix
   and send me patches, hint hint).

   But overall, this branch is getting a bit messy and tangled; see below.

xen/master-4.0:

   I'll make a branch off more-or-less current xen/master and add
   Xiantao's APIC API changes.  This branch will only work on Xen 4.0
   hypervisor (and 3.4 with backports), and will contain the "new" APIC
   setup code, which is what I intend to upstream.  So I'd like people
   to test this and report and regressions.

   Aside from that change, I'll keep it in sync with xen/master.

Future/WIP:

xen/next:

   At the moment I'm working on a fresh re-merge of all the Xen topic
   branches onto a new merge branch based on 2.6.32.  This is
   definitely Work-In-Progress (in fact, I haven't pushed my current
   state out yet).

   This idea is to make this a clean merge, containing the current best
   of all the topic branches, and ideally make it close to something we
   can upstream.  This will be Xen 4.0-only.

   When done, this will be the base for ongoing development.

xen/stable-2.6.32:

   Based on xen/next.  I'll only include bugfixes, stuff known to be
   stable, and merge in mainline stable point releases.  This should be
   a solid dom0 for Xen 4 users.

   I expect there'll be stable-2.6.X branches tracking future released
   upstream kernels.

xen/master:

   Main bleeding-edge development branch, based on xen/next re-merge.

   Policy remains the same as current xen/master: I won't merge
   absolutely broken things, and keep it generally useful, but new
   things will definitely be need of testing.