Re: [Xen-devel] HVM support to be removed from Debian Squeeze: call for

To: Thomas Goirand <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] HVM support to be removed from Debian Squeeze: call for volunteers
From: Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 15:29:05 +0000
Cc: Bastian Blank <waldi@xxxxxxxxxx>, Debian Xen Team <pkg-xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 07:29:35 -0800
Newsgroups: chiark.mail.xen.devel
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thomas Goirand writes ("[Xen-devel] HVM support to be removed from Debian
Squeeze: call for volunteers"):
>  Someone that is willing to do this job of security
> maintenance HAS to raise hand here,

Hello.  Yes, I volunteer (with my day job hat on).  I've done security
patching before in other contexts.

> Mainly, the work would be to have a script (or some Makefile entries
> with DESTDIR= for example) that would install all needed files in

You mean in the upstream package ?  This isn't quite trivial but it
should be doable.  There is a slight difficulty in that the filesystem
layout of the Debian Xen packages is quite different to upstream's.

But partitioning the output of `make dist-tools' etc. to provide
something that can be used for qemu-dm build should be easy enough.

> debian/xen-hvm-support (if we call that package xen-hvm-support). Also,
> the source package should contain ONLY what is strictly concerning
> Qemu-dm (not a big issue, but it would be cleaner this way and make the
> source package smaller). As of now, I don't know who is maintaining Qemu
> in Xen at all. Any volunteer here that would work with me does NOT need
> to know anything about Debian or Debian packaging, but only about Qemu
> and Xen itself.

I'm very happy to help out with this

> Also, I'm not a registered Debian developer (yet), so I can't upload
> directly in the distribution without going by a sponsor for my package,
> which can seriously slow down everything. If a registered DD could raise
> hand, that would help as well.

[swaps hats]

Also, I am a Debian Developer although I haven't been very active in
Debian recently.  I would be happy to sponsor uploads, provided they
seemed sane to me.

> I think that the best way here, is to build a (small, 3 or 4 persons)
> team to work on this issue so it can be addressed fast.

Yes.

Regards,
Ian.