[Xen-devel] Re: Problems with serial interrupts with IPMI 2.0 SoL

To: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: Problems with serial interrupts with IPMI 2.0 SoL
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 21:55:50 -0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 06:51:15 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Em Thu, 10 Dec 2009 13:45:54 -0800
Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using a system with an embedded IPMI 2.0 BMC which provides SoL
> (Supermicro X8SIL-F).  This works fine under Linux (fully interrupt
> driven), but fails for Xen as it appears to not be sending interrupts;
> it works OK if I set the driver to polling mode.
>
> I'm assuming the Xen is tickling some bug in the emulated 16550.  The
> Linux driver has a couple of pieces of code to explicitly work around
> bugs in the Intel AMT SoL implementation, but I don't think they're
> coming into play here (because there are no Intel SoL PCI devices on
> this system to trigger the NO_TXEN_TEST flag).
>
> I'm wondering if you have any pointers or suggestions about more subtle
> problems?

If you don't hit NO_TXEN_TEST flag, you'll be loosing interrupts, as the
emulation of 16550 is not perfect.

As far as I remember, interrupts take too long to happen with the emulated
16550, when comparing with a normal serial.

--

Cheers,
Mauro