[Xen-devel] Re: Crash with c/s 20097 (x86 vmx: Update EIP when appropria

To: Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: Crash with c/s 20097 (x86 vmx: Update EIP when appropriate during task switch)
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 12:09:48 +0000
Cc: Kouya Shimura <kouya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 04:10:44 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 02/12/2009 11:47, "Tim Deegan" <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The __get_instruction_length() _isn't_ safe in those cases where we
> later explicitly set inst_len to zero (and possibly in other cases).

Argh, stupid, and probably my mistake. I'll push the
__get_instruction_length() inside the if()s.

>  The cases of VM exits encountered during delivery of a software
>  interrupt, privileged software exception, or software exception include
>  those encountered during delivery of events injected as part of VM
>  entry (see Section 22.5.1.2). If the original event was injected as
>  part of VM entry, this field receives the value of the VM-entry
>  instruction length.
>
> Does that mean that if we inject a fault and the guest routes it through
> a task switch gate, we'll see the length of VMENTER here?  (And should
> we be advancing EIP in that case anyway?)

Fortunately we never inject software interrupts or exceptions. I reworked
the code to avoid that a long time ago, due to just such concerns. Possibly
we should even ASSERT as such in the event-injection functions.

 -- Keir