Re: [Xen-devel] Question about vcpu_avail

To: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Question about vcpu_avail
From: Michal Novotny <minovotn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:51:54 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 06:52:27 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 11/24/2009 03:24 PM, Keir Fraser wrote:
On 24/11/2009 11:27, "Michal Novotny"<minovotn@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

i.e., no need for xend itself to know about the new config item.

   -- Keir

Well, I don't know Keir since the main use scenario for maxvcpus is to
set number of vcpus for the guest so a new definition in Xend should be
required.
We already have a config option for that, called 'vcpus'. 'vcpu_avail' can
then be used to limit the number of those which are brought online during
initial boot. Any new config-file options can be sugar on top of those.

  -- Keir

Well, imagine scenario you need to allocate 4 vcpus to the guest but you need to use only 2 vcpus at startup. So you suggest having `vcpus` and `maxvcpus` options in the config file and allocating all the `maxvcpus` and setting number of `vcpus` by setting appropriate mask using `vcpu_avail` ?

Thanks,
-- Michal