[Xen-devel] VF as default interface on dom0

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] VF as default interface on dom0
From: Satish Chowdhury <satish.chowdhury@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 06:35:40 +0530
Delivery-date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 17:06:29 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I am trying to make the VF interface of Intel 82576 dual port card, as default outgoing interface on dom0. Data traffic from VMs (HVM) should go through VF interface on dom0.

Issue: Tx traffic (arp request) from VMs goes out through VF on dom0, but Rx traffic (arp reply) is not reaching to VMs.

Setup:
  HP dc7800 VTd machine with Xen 3.4 and 2.6.18-igb as dom0
  FC11 2.6.30 kernel as domU-1.
  Ubuntu 2.6.30 kernel as domU-2.

  I loaded igbvf-1.0.7 driver(from  http://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000/files/) on 2.6.18-igb dom0. Minor change was required, in netdev.c file. Replaced 'alloc_etherdev(X)' with alloc_etherdev_mq(X , 1)

Steps:

On dom0
#rmmod igb
#modprobe igb max_vfs=1
#modprobe igbvf

Above steps create eth1, eth2 as PF and eth3, eth4 as VF interfaces.

I added following line to default /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp
(network-script 'network-bridge netdev=eth3')

Then I started xend
#xend start
eth3 bridge gets created with peth3 as one interface in the bridge.

In the hmv config files, changed the bridge name to xenbr3.
vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr3' ]

Created two VMs and assigned IP address in same network domain as of VF and PF.
Four interfaces tap1.0, vif1.0, tap2.0, vif2.0 get added to the eth3 bridge on dom0.

Removed iptable rules 'iptables -F' from dom0, domU-1, domU-2.

Observation:

Ping from domU-1 to VF and PF ip address works.
Ping between domU-1 and domU-2 works.
But, ping from domU to another machine on same network on switch doesn't work.

The arp broadcast request goes out through VF interface. But the arp reply doesn't reach VF interface, they get routed to PF interface. Why is it so?

PF interface(eth1) is not part of the eth3 bridge. If I add eth1 to eth3-bridge, then ping from VMs to other machines on switch works.

Is there something I am missing? How to make above experiment to work?

Regards,
-Satish