Re: [Xen-devel] Re: PCI tuners with XEN

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: PCI tuners with XEN
From: "Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)" <space.time.universe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 22:40:55 +0800
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 07:41:45 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=oBmV0c4cUMCqT5FhMwhWYpf+wBEQ/+310pozHaZsKPA=; b=ZpzvsK7P8u5/qmcFoM2lFXdGNkRo7oveT+b2Wja9JzC5l3OGYFPJ3PN6XaUtALBsm0 gQ2yeQTwqe/cCL2rMerEUjvDnFaRiyniUMHbq4cksUiKZZMFmGv4DrNV8FismwZnZPwx 1HXeCxzKSTu0wsy4WwpXFPQLPG+JgaFyzZUQA=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sorry Christian.

Actually I am thinking William Eder may not need to go to the extent
of creating para-virtualized linux guests and passing through the PCI
TV tuner card to the linux guest.

I am suspecting that TV tuner card drivers may not be available or be
able to work properly under a Xen kernel. But since William is already
running Ubuntu linux, he has the option of loading a Xen or a non-Xen
kernel in GRUB. In that scenario, he should be able to load the
conventional Ubuntu supplied non-Xen kernel and install the
appropriate drivers for his PCI TV tuner card.

PCI TV tuner cards with the BT848 and BT878 chipsets are very well
supported in linux.

I am using the Hauppage WinTV PVR USB2 TV tuner box. pvrusb2 drivers
get automatically loaded when the USB cable of the TV tuner is plugged
into my machine (working under non-Xen kernel). I use it in
conjunction with mythtv. When I need to use Win XP virtual machine,
then I reboot into Xen pvops dom0 kernel.

For William's case, he needs to check what the chipset on his PCI TV
tuner card is.

--
Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) Dip(Mechatronics) BEng(Hons)(Mechanical
Engineering)