Re: [Xen-devel] RE: [Xen-changelog] [xen-unstable]vt-d: Fixpanic in msi_

To: Miroslav Rezanina <mrezanin@xxxxxxxxxx>, Dexuan Cui <dexuan.cui@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] RE: [Xen-changelog] [xen-unstable]vt-d: Fixpanic in msi_msg_read_remap_rte with acpi=off
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:22:48 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 02:23:17 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 19/10/2009 09:34, "Miroslav Rezanina" <mrezanin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Thanks,
>> -- Dexuan
>>

> Hi Dexuan,
> you're right. We should print warning. In your patch, I do not understand
> why you put comment only in setup_dom0_devices function. There is more
> calling of domain_context_mapping and we check NULL also in
> domain_context_unmap
> and reassign_device_ownership. We should put warning in there too, shouldn't
> we?

The warnings are silly, if we believe find_matched_drhd_unit() should not
return NULL in those cases. Since obviously we wouldn't know what to do in
that case: bailing and doing nothing, while convenient and requiring little
thought to implement, probably causes other subtler problems later on since
those remap functions are supposed to actually do something! Crashing
immediately is the nice thing to do here: nice for the poor developer who
may have to debug this case sometime in the future, in the hopefully
unlikely event our belief turns out to be false.

I'll be applying Dexuan's original replacement patch.

 -- Keir