Re: [Xen-devel] Error restoring DomU when using GPLPV

To: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Error restoring DomU when using GPLPV
From: Mukesh Rathor <mukesh.rathor@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 13:50:22 -0700
Cc: Joshua West <jwest@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, kurt.hackel@xxxxxxxxxx, annie.li@xxxxxxxxxx, James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, wayne.gong@xxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 13:51:31 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
just in case someone missed the thread earlier,

3 = 1 shinfo + 2 gnt frames default.

so, tot_pages + shinfo + num gnt frames.

Mukesh

Dan Magenheimer wrote:
Before we close down this thread, I have a concern:

According to Mukesh, the fix to this bug is dependent
on the pv drivers tracking tot_pages for a domain
and ballooning to ensure tot_pages+3 does not exceed
max_pages for the domain.

Well, tmem can affect tot_pages for a domain inside
the hypervisor without any notification to pv drivers
or the balloon driver.  And I'd imagine that PoD and
future memory optimization mechanisms such as
swapping and page-sharing may do the same.

So this solution seems very fragile.

Dan