RE: [Xen-devel] Xen Signature == "NovellShimHv" ???

<AEC6C66638C05B468B556EA548C1A77D0177D2B2@trantor>, "James Harper"
<james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 11:24:43AM +1000, James Harper wrote:
>> > A user of GPLPV is reporting a problem with the drivers on Windows
> 2008,
>> > and it appears that GPLPV is finding a signature of 'NovellShimHv'
>> > instead of 'XenVMMXenVMM'.
>> >
>> > Can anyone suggest a reason for this?
>>
>> SLES10 SP2 Xen has the code for this. It is basically an early version
> of the
>> Veridian interface.
>
> Ah. Hmmm. So does that mean that PV drivers on HVM domains (windows or
> Linux) aren't going to work at all? Should I check for both
> 'NovellShimHv' and 'XenVMMXenVMM'? I notice that the unmodified drivers
> tree under xen doesn't check for this, and neither does hvmloader.
>
> James
A simple workaround here might be to disable the HyperV shim when you are
extid = 0 in the VM config file. If you want the shim enabled and run GPL PV ,
you have more issues than the hypervisor signature. Some of the CPUID leaves
and MSRs of Xen and HyerV collide and this needs to be disambiguated.

Regards,

K. Y