Re: [Xen-devel] Scheduler stats and some doubts

To: Marco Tizzoni <marco.tizzoni@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Scheduler stats and some doubts
From: Jean Guyader <jean.guyader@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 02:27:19 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 18:27:46 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=kcQ2SUZNjZPQxRtINXVg8wdrSZKBZkiu0Pelr07NxZg=; b=Qq6OfswjC2jZtVzb+u0iRFt8BftBqWq5XJOoGCcFyQNgqds+oan24D2U5cagWjBDjV MIIWPiLMnOVOKQ+nNO0TWOWi269a7ZFLom1gbN11RPXJTmYCNd/4txo4wZSRiNo8vFcV JFHvCiK09Y4mSBZiEewFPZurOzhdVSZdhmtQA=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

2009/9/12 Marco Tizzoni <marco.tizzoni@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hello,
> someone can tell me how to enable scheduler statistics and how to display
> them?
>
> I found this comment:
>
> ---------------------------------------
> /*
>  * CSCHED_STATS
>  *
>  * Manage very basic per-vCPU counters and stats.
>  *
>  * Useful for debugging live systems. The stats are displayed
>  * with runq dumps ('r' on the Xen console).
>  */
> #ifdef PERF_COUNTERS
> #define CSCHED_STATS
> #endif
> ---------------------------------------
>
> I've just enabled this in Rules.mk:
> ---------------------------------------
> verbose       ?= y
> perfc         ?= y
> perfc_arrays  ?= y
>
> now xenperf works but I don't know how to access the "Xen console".

The perf counters are a debug key. You can access the xen console via serial
by doing CTRL+A-CTRL+A, then h. You might need to enable debug
for perf counters.

You can also invoke a debug key using xm directly.

Jean