Re: [Xen-devel] Suggestion: drop python 2.3 support for xen-3.5

To: Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Suggestion: drop python 2.3 support for xen-3.5
From: xen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:20:08 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 03:20:35 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello!

Sorry - but I do not fully understand you.

What do you mean with 'in a way like this'?  My mail is a try to
establish a long term overview over supported python versions.  This
gives everybody a chance to do long term planing when to upgrade to a
new version.  It was not meant to be 'everybody has to update in the
next couple of weeks'.

What is your idea about future python support and timelines?  Do
you think e.g. python 2.2 should be supported in xen-3.5 also?
(In one of the documents this version is still mentioned.)

[Are you running xen-unstable on a production environment?
I also do not understand: when you currently run xen unstable, why do
you concern about support? You are already miles out of the support
line.  :-)
So when you are asked to 'restore the "stock" state' you also remove
xen unstable?]

SLES 10 comes with python 2.4 (Service Pack 2 uses 2.4.2). SLES runs out
of 'General Support' on 31 Jul 2013 [1] - at this point of time you
should think about updating. And SLES 11 comes already with python 2.6.

Can I interpret your answer as: dropping python 2.3 support is ok for
you, but python 2.4 must be supported for at least a couple of years?

Regards

Andreas

[1] http://support.novell.com/lifecycle/lcSearchResults.jsp?st=-1&sl=-1&sg=1