RE: [Xen-devel] Can the qemu-xen git repository be moved to a 'git://' p

To: Brendan Cully <brendan@xxxxxxxxx>, Tom Rotenberg <tom.rotenberg@xxxxxxxxx>, Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Can the qemu-xen git repository be moved to a 'git://' protocol? It can save a lot of time...
From: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 13:14:14 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 13:14:55 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I think c/s 19956 should be reverted.

After struggling through a recent default build (and finally remembering
this discussion from two weeks ago),  I have to agree with Brendan.
It's bad enough to have two different sourcecode control systems,
but those unfamiliar with git should not have to learn about
its features and deficiencies (e.g. inability to use an http
proxy) to build xen-unstable.

C'mon people, it's critical that we make it as easy as possible
for newcomers and people who are not top-notch linux sysadmins to
still do Xen development.

> From: Ian Jackson [mailto:Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> I would recommend getting your firewall fixed.  The git protocol is
> much more efficient.

The git protocol is much LESS efficient if you don't know what
this means:

git.... [0: 999.99.99.999]: errno=Connection timed out
fatal: unable to connect a socket (Connection timed out)

Or how to "get your firewall fixed" (even if that is possible
in your organization or university) or how to set up tunneling
software to go around the firewall.

So inefficient in fact as to take a lot more time to figure
it out and "fix it" than to use http to begin with.

The default Xen build should be braindead easy to use;
I realize we are far from that already but that's no excuse
for making it worse.

My two cents.
Dan

P.S. Even if I lose this battle, it should be an absolute
minimum that changes to the build dependencies/process are
accompanied by changes to the main README.  I don't see any
mention of qemu/ioemu at all and the KERNELS= info is now wrong
as well.  Are we trying to ensure the failure of newcomers
that want to contribute to Xen?