[Xen-devel] Re: PV-Grub and PXE

Steven Maresca, le Wed 15 Jul 2009 21:52:40 -0400, a écrit :
> For PV, we can cheat and skip most of that pain. In my mind - and as
> you suggested - that means just parsing PXE configurations.
>
> For the most basic case, all we need is:
> 1) access to the network device
> 2) ability to pull a lease from dhcp (with next-server and filename options
> set)
> 3) tftp to $next-server to grab not the pxelinux.0 binary (or its
> equivalent) but the configuration alone
> 4) mechanism for presenting the configuration and emulating the (text) menu
> 5) acting upon the choice

Yes, that's the kind of things I was thinking about.

> Assumption: no more graphical menu is employed.

Not necessarily, grub's graphical menu is just a graphical rendering of
the text menu, it's basically the same content.

> Please note: I'm not necessarily advocating that pv-grub should be
> bent and twisted to this task, though that was the topic that led us
> to this discussion.

I think it could still be done that way: there could be a pxelinux.cfg
to menu.lst converter and pv-grub can be fed with it.

Samuel