Re: [Xen-devel] vbd resize

To: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] vbd resize
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 14:17:24 +0300
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 04:17:55 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 08:11:09PM +1000, James Harper wrote:
> I'm investigating what would be required for a DomU's block device to be
> resized (well... grown at least) without having to reboot the DomU.
>
> Does the commercial product support this?

This has been discussed here a couple of times, and it's also a feature
request for Xen 4.0.

I don't think it would be a lot of code to support this.. the upstream Linux
kernel already supports SCSI disk online resizing. Also RHEL 5.3 kernel supports
online SCSI disk resizing.

Earlier thread:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2008-09/msg00158.html

-- Pasi