Re: [Xen-devel] Boot dom0 and mini-OS guest in parallel

To: Lucio Maciel <luciofm@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Boot dom0 and mini-OS guest in parallel
From: Christopher Clark <christopher.w.clark@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 14:47:40 -0700
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 14:48:05 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=T+5ehxtLQM/eKmJ2qukztGNvpp3dW8ZIZdAzhvND/jk=; b=gwXP+SxF2Ou+Qnk/RRMLcAmovpgYxwt1OKf5Y3O8k00XxFAPisGZQhStTmO8okOW7c fvyXd6xo8X/Zdwww5CiERlnVna9k0JwDK//qsYA+xKAdPj5v3KS41c6mG6ObkEMi7BB/ CMQwcvnpvMQp6gmyflzGR7EoVsRadI4zxm+wc=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
It's not implemented now, as far as I can tell from a quick scan of
the unstable source, but it's doable if you're up for a project.

Xen does relocation of modules passed at boot which is how the dom0
kernel and its initrd are loaded.

You could specify another module to grub that Xen will relocate and
then construct a domain around it within Xen, in a similar fashion to
the way dom0 is constructed.

See the dom0 construction code in:

xen/arch/x86/domain_build.c : construct_dom0
and
xen/arch/x86/setup.c : __start_xen

I'm not familar enough with ia64 to pass similar pointers there, and
I'm not sure what it'd take to build a neat enough implementation that
it'd be considered for merge.

Christopher