Re: [Xen-devel] nographic=1 but still have a vga adapter

To: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] nographic=1 but still have a vga adapter
From: Tom Rotenberg <tom.rotenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 22:46:33 +0300
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Trolle Selander <trolle.selander@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 12:47:01 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=vKuMoBWyRm8j9GRxcjttuxpxAFQGMi+jWQethnizl+o=; b=odAvYZOGS/nHYN8wIMxoTnGwYlQKOnF3z+z1u6PdIS0qKkpy78z/97iLhudegkGOiQ ZXdeobe5n5i9RTA4bKObhtgU84R9rfJ6ZRiDrnDYnNcUKziY8HVlTov7Ftl3otQqRFh6 lWHjsdMYarT8LbohOC+Ep553Xl89vfMeeoyBY=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
James,

I tent to believe that it's the driver in Windows that prevents the system from entering stand-by, since if you'll try the same on a Linux guest, it will go to stand-by without any problems.

Regarding the problem you have, there are 2 options to solve it:
1. Use VGA pass-through with IOMMU (should work on some of the devices with Xen 3.4, and a compatible machine)
(However, i have tried it, and it didn't work on my machine...)
2. Write your own basic wrapper driver for the display adapter, which will support sleep. Maybe you will be able to find such driver out in the web...

Tom

2009/7/4 James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I'm not sure whether a way to enable this has made it into the xen
config file
> parsing, but the option to qemu-dm to remove the virtual vga card
completely
> is "-vga none"

That option doesn't seem to exist in the qemu that ships with 3.3 so I
upgraded to 3.4 (was going to soon anyway) and appended "-vga none" via
a wrapper script for 'qemu-dm'. Unfortunately it just gives a bus error
in qemu-dm so obviously there is some internal reliance on having a vga
adapter present.

The problem I'm trying to solve here is to get Windows to enter standby.
It won't because the Cirrus Logic 5446 adapter doesn't support it, and
neither does the 'stdvga' driver. I tried corrupting the PCI ID's for
the CL-5446 but Windows just falls back to the 'vga save' adapter, which
also doesn't support standby.

Frustrating.

Does anyone know if it is the CL5446 driver that doesn't support
standby, or if it is qemu's implementation of the CL5446 that doesn't
support standby?

Thanks

James