[Xen-devel] Question on balloon driver & guest memory reservation!

To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Question on balloon driver & guest memory reservation!
From: "Jayaraman, Bhaskar" <Bhaskar.Jayaraman@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 18:09:47 +0530
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 05:40:39 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi, from the balloon driver for HVM Linux guests, I can see that only direct map addresses or logical addresses can be used. So if a 32-bit (PAE or otherwise) guest uses the balloon driver it can allocate up to a maximum of where the low memory addresses end (GFP_KERNEL) 896 MB or from the fixed map area of 128 MB which could be from low or high mem. Please let me know if my assumption is correct.

2nd unlike a PV guest, where after alloc_empty_pages_and_pagevec (e.g. blkback) and mapping in memory from another domain, if I alloc empty balloon pages in an HVM and then try to access the page how will it be handled by Xen? I see that a PV guest crashes if I access an empty page without mapping anything into its place.

Regards,

Bhaskar.