Re: [Xen-devel] Does XEN have any hot backup/snapshot features or plan?

To: zign <zign@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Does XEN have any hot backup/snapshot features or plan?
From: Omar BENHAMID <o.benhamid@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 10:48:18 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 01:48:54 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,
I was thinking of prototyping "hot snapshotting" of blktap backed vbds.
The idea would be for example : for a domain called MyDomain having /var/xen/data/mydisk.vmdk attached to hda

xm vbd-snapshot-create MyDomain hda /var/xen/snapshot/snapshot1.vmdk

xend will then synchronise the domain, pause it and signal blktap daemon to create a disk snapshot : Current block device attached to hda would be closed and moved to /var/backup/snapshot1.vmdk than recreate mydisk.vmdk as a cow copy of snapshot1.vmdk then unpause the domain. snapshot1.vmdk could be backed up safely as it receives no writes. After backup imagine some thing like :

xm vbd-snapshot-merge MyDomain hda

That would "commit" mydisk.vmdk into snapshot1.vmdk, either with a paused domain or (more complex but more confortable) live.

- How interesting this would be for general use ? Interface should of course be generic enought to support large variety of tap storage backends (cow, vmdk, vhd ?). Would it be interesting enought to some day get integrated in mainstream xen ? Or philosophy of lean means that we won't implement in xen something that LVM would do fine ?

- Is there already some work like this ?

- As of xen 3.2 (and hopefully 3.3) i think blktap daemon is the right place to do it, adding the right callbacks to tap_disk structure and implementing it in convinent drivers. But i saw plans with xen 3.4 (or after ?) with the idea of deep rework trying to merge everything in qemu device model? What is the best place to do this ?

Regards,

Omar BENHAMID