Re: [Xen-devel] Future of xenbits Linux trees

To: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Future of xenbits Linux trees
From: Jean Guyader <jean.guyader@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 17:09:34 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 09:10:12 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=WDOIyiXCNiZocwoBbxrx0cWOs7MZ1eewe+B6n9VudaA=; b=U+Ys0RRvALK/uQwV08IHlwlaocBiyUYydHCa0hd28QXd40JFZtv3ahULG8KahE1X58 F2nJHhnqiyawz0mmdDWKkUXIYnRbKPzWC0+5E9gCLufXOa4lJ/iNiRnezkHjLyR9zz4s tkELTLP4f4vPR1zacWINW3C3ZFZOc3MdoHn3s=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2009/6/4 Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Folks,
>
> With 3.4 out the door it is time to revisit the state of our Linux
> repositories. Currently we have a number of trees in various states of
> maintenance:
>  - linux-2.6.18-xen.hg: the 'original' tree. Still maintained, used and
> tested but increasingly long in the tooth.
>  - ext/linux-2.6.27-xen.hg: a snapshot of opensuse's kernel port. This
> clones tree is not maintained or tested.
>  - XCI/linux-2.6.27.git: a forward port of the Xen patches to 2.6.27.
> Maintained as part of XCI project.
>  - Jeremy's pv_ops patches against kernel.org: maintained, (somewhat)
> tested, but incomplete.
>
> It is probably time to kill the 2.6.18 tree, or at least stop active
> development within it. It is increasingly a kludged collection of backports
> of more recent kernel patches, and is also missing a lot of drivers for more
> modern hardware.
>
> Our proposal is to move XCI's linux-2.6.27 tree out of the XCI subproject
> and make it the main user tree. Development and automated testing would
> occur on that tree and of course on Jeremy's pv_ops patchset (which we want
> to completely move onto at some point in the future).
>
> What do people think of this as a plan?

This tree is not tied up with XCI at all.
It can be taken as it and runs on the top of mainstream xen.

Jean