RE: [Xen-devel] Repositories and build system

To: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Repositories and build system
From: Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 17:56:12 +0100
Cc: Yuji Shimada <shimada-yxb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Xen Developers <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Zhai, Edwin" <edwin.zhai@xxxxxxxxx>, Stefano Stabellini <Stefano.Stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 09:56:41 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dan Magenheimer writes ("RE: [Xen-devel] Repositories and build system"):
> Generally, I think the idea of a meta-pull and
> meta-make are good (and maybe a meta-install?),
> but in order to be useful, they need to work not
> only on "latest" but older branches of components
> as well.  For example:

I would expect that `make pull' would pull from whatever branch you
checked out.  So if you had checked out xen-unstable, `make pull'
would pull Xen and dom0 and qemu and ocaml etc.

The result would be that if you pulled you'd necessarily get a new set
of compatible stuff, just as if it had been in a single tree and you'd
pulled that.

> "Pull and build all latest known stable components
> that work with xen-unstable changeset 19314"

That would require formal, machine-readable tracking of the
inter-version dependencies.  Since at the moment we can't reliably
accidentally avoid introducing cross-version breakage I don't think we
can reliably avoid buggy metadata either.

Ian.