Re: [Xen-devel] Fast inter-VM signaling using monitor/mwait

On Apr 20, 2009, at 11:19 PM, Ian Pratt wrote:

The mwait instruction is privileged.  So I added a new hypercall that
wraps access to the mwait instruction.  Thus, my code has a Xen
component (the new hypercall) and a guest kernel component (code for
executing the hypercall and for turning off/on the timer interrupts
around the hypercall).  For this code to be merged into Xen, it would
need to add security checks and check whether the processor supports
such a feature.

I seem to recall that some newer CPUs have an mwait instruction accessible from ring3, using a different opcode -- you might want to check this out.

Thanks for the pointer. I'm not aware of these new instructions. A quick Google search didn't turn up anything. Can any of the Intel/AMD folks shed more light?

How do you deal with atomicity of the monitor and mwait? i.e. how do you stop the hypervisor pre-empting the VM and using monitor for its own purposes or letting another guest use it?

The monitor and mwait instructions are _both_ executed in the hypervisor. I should've been clearer: my new "mwait" hypercall executes both the monitor and mwait instructions.

Have you thought about HVM guests as well as PV?

No, I haven't thought about HVM. (I'm about to reply to Kevin TIan's response and hopefully we can figure this out.)

Best,
Ian

Thanks for the feedback!
Mike