Re: ocaml?? why?? (was: [Xen-devel] caml stubdom crashes)

To: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ocaml?? why?? (was: [Xen-devel] caml stubdom crashes)
From: Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 00:46:01 +0100
Cc: Alex Zeffertt <alex.zeffertt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "George S. Coker, II" <gscoker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Patrick Colp <pjcolp@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 16:46:32 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 2 Apr 2009, at 23:13, Dan Magenheimer wrote:

They already do: XenEnterprise is mostly implemented in ocaml.

Well, I suppose that's a good datapoint.  I wonder if the world's
supply of ocaml programmers all work for Citrix/Xensource. ;-)

But I'd question whether one good datapoint in a controlled
single-product single-company focused startup environment
is a good representation of the problems that might occur
in a broader (e.g. open source) bazaar.

No problem so far with the language itself.

This would seem to disagree with *No* problems.
http://cufp.galois.com/2008/slides/MadhavapeddyAnil.pdf

I was merely pointing out in those slides that OCaml wasn't a perfect language, and that there were obviously areas where we found it was more difficult to do stuff than others. Please remember the audience; I was pointing out areas where FP language researchers could focus their attention if they are interested in more "real-world" adoption of their particular breed of languages.

Compared to the early sprawling mass of Twisted Python, or a complex C implementation riddled with memory corruption, OCaml was (and remains) a fantastic choice.

It is a really nice systems language mainly because the run-time is very, very simple. You could read through it in a few hours (src/ byterun) and come away with a good idea of how the garbage collector and heap representation works. Because types are stripped away at compile-time, the stuff sitting in memory is very regular and simple --- and it doesn't matter if the source program had intricate type checks in place as they only have to pass the compiler.

You can read a good low-level overview of the native code the compiler outputs here:
http://www.ocaml-tutorial.org/performance_and_profiling
(and the rest of the site is an excellent place to get started with some simple programs).

Come along to CUFP 2009 in Edinburgh this year and you'll see a really vibrant commercial community using FP... and with the heavy MS investment in F# (heavily inspired by OCaml); the style of programming is really taking off now. I just bought a copy of "Real World Haskell" recently ... you know something's afoot when O'Reilly publishes a book with that title and it isn't April 1st :-)

-anil