[Xen-devel] hvm hibernate

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] hvm hibernate
From: "Ky Srinivasan" <ksrinivasan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 12:44:53 -0600
Delivery-date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 11:45:20 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
With the support of S4 sleep state (hibernate) for  HVM guests,  we now have a
situation where the guest is resuming from hibernate while the hypervisor
assumes that it is spinning up a new guest VM. And so, if the hypervisor
maintains any guest specific state that needs to persist across a hibernate,
there is no way to save and restore this state. I am running into this problem
on win2k8 guests where the Hyperv shim has to maintain guest specific state
that needs to persist across a hibernate.
Given that we already support save/restore which is functionally equivalent to
hibernate, do we need to support S4 sleep state?

Regards,

K. Y