[Xen-devel] Status of my recent PCI pass-through changes

To: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Status of my recent PCI pass-through changes
From: Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 15:49:32 +1100
Cc: Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Cui, Dexuan" <dexuan.cui@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 21:49:58 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

As of changeset "passthrough: Update acpi_php_readb()'s comment"
[ 182efd7df38a23e14294811db56fc45d8654713e ] of the staging tree of
qemu-xen-unstable, all of the patches relating to recent changes to PCI
pass-through that I have been involved in appear to have been merged.

The following changes seem to be out-standing for xen-unstable
as of change-set "x86 acpi: Delete unnecessary and broken RSDP-scanning
code" [ 19433:d5ddc782bc49 ] . Please consider including them in 3.4.

* "[patch] xend: Supply pass-through vslot to qemu-dm"
  http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2009-03/msg01630.html
* "[patch] xend: Allow user to specify vslots 0 - 1f for static pass-through"
  http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2009-03/msg01678.html
* "[patch v2] hmvloader: Reserve ioport ranges for expanded PHP"
  http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2009-03/msg01939.html
* "[patch] hvmloader: Use If and Else instead of Switch"
  http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2009-03/msg01940.html

For reference, these patches relate to the following changes:

* Allow any unused PCI slot to be used for PCI pass-through,
  including hot-plug.

  Previously only slots 6 & 7 could be used, limiting users to two
  pass-through devices per domU. The new limit is around 28, as there are
  32 possible slots on a PCI bus, and at least 4 are used by a domU at
  boot-time. Fewer devices will be available for pass-through if extra
  ioemu devices are attached to the domU.

* Allow the user to specify slot used for pass-through of devices
  attached to domU at boot time. This mirrors the ability to select the
  slot when a device is hot-plugged.

Thanks to everyone who has helped with reviewing and merging so far.

--
Simon Horman
  VA Linux Systems Japan K.K., Sydney, Australia Satellite Office