spinlock requests (was RE: [Xen-devel] [Patch] don't spin with irq disab

To: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, Juergen Gross <juergen.gross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: spinlock requests (was RE: [Xen-devel] [Patch] don't spin with irq disabled)
From: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 17:00:31 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 10:02:16 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Keir (and/or others) --

If you are messing around in the spinlock code anyway,
I have a couple of requests.  Tmem needs:

rw_is_write_locked(rwlock_t *lock)

and

write_trylock(rwlock_t *lock)

I implemented the latter by grabbing the C code from Linux
and it seems to work, but it would be nice if it was
consistent with the other lock code in xen and
my asm statement understanding is too poor to try.

For rw_is_write_locked(), I had a devil of a time
because of what appeared to be a weird code generated
race; the obvious simple implementation failed
periodically... apparently due to racing against
try_readlock attempts!  (I use it in an ASSERT so it
was a rather noticeable and spectacular failure!)
The workaround I used below is a horrible hack
but I haven't had problems since.

Thanks,
Dan

(include/asm-x86/spinlock.h)
+static inline int write_trylock(rwlock_t *lock)
+{
+       atomic_t *count = (atomic_t *)lock;
+       if (atomic_sub_and_test(RW_LOCK_BIAS, count))
+               return 1;
+       atomic_add(RW_LOCK_BIAS, count);
+       return 0;
+}

(include/asm-x86/spinlock.h)
+#define _raw_rw_is_write_locked(x) (((x)->lock) <= 0)

(common/spinlock.c))
+int _rw_is_write_locked(rwlock_t *lock)
+{
+#if 0
+    check_lock(&lock->debug);
+    return _raw_rw_is_write_locked(&lock->raw);
+#else
+    int val;
+
+    /* some weird code generation race? this works, above doesn't */
+    check_lock(&lock->debug);
+    val = (&lock->raw)->lock;
+    if (val > 0)  /* FIXME remove if ever called when expects not locked */
+        printk("*** val=%d\n",val);
+    return val <= 0;
+#endif
+}