[Xen-devel] Xen domain save file should be deleted/renamed after success

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Xen domain save file should be deleted/renamed after successful restore operation
From: Michal Novotny <minovotn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:13:32 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 02:15:07 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello everybody,
I have found a problem about the checkpoint file (saved domain file) that has been already used to restore a domain. The second time restoring domain from the same saved domain file will result in disk corruption and kernel of VM saved in this save file is in an inconsistent state then.

You can replicate this by eg. creating some PV domain, saving it using `xm save` command to /var/lib/xen/save directory and restoring it again. The domain save file is not deleted or anything so when rebooting dom0 `xendomains` script starts this machine again but this results in disk corruption of disk used for this guest.

It would be better if we either delete a domain save file after successful restore process or at least rename it to some name that won't be run automatically using `xendomains` script (maybe we can append a dot before file name itself so it won't be restored automatically by this script) or, maybe better, there could be an option in xend-config.sxp to allow user choose what he would like to do.

Thanks,
Michal