Re: [Xen-devel] PCIe 2.0, VT-d and Intel 82576 enhancement for Xen SR-IO

Yes, using the master BDF can move current logic into Dom0 and makes
hypervisor cleaner. And it does work for VT-d spec 1.2.

But if VT-d spec 1.3 (or AMD/IBM/Sun IOMMU specs) says that the ARI
device and the Virtual Function have their own remapping unit or
something like this, rather than use their masters', how could we support
it using the master BDF? Things evolve fast, we would need to add
another hypercall to enhance the master BDF one after it's in 3.4 --
it would be like when the device_add was added, the VT-d spec didn't
have such requirement, but now we have to add device_add_ext because
the compatibility requirement.

Passing these device specific information down and doing the IOMMU
specific work inside the hypervisor hereditarily come with current
passthrough architecture. After choosing putting all IOMMU things (both
high level remapping data structures and logics, and low level hardware
drivers) into hypervisor, we lost the flexibility to split the matching
up logic and move it back to the Dom0 kernel.

Thanks,
Yu