Re: [Xen-devel] [rfc 00/18] ioemu: use devfn instead of slots as the uni

To: Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [rfc 00/18] ioemu: use devfn instead of slots as the unit for passthrough
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 09:26:18 +0000
Cc: Yuji Shimada <shimada-yxb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 01:26:45 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 05/03/2009 09:05, "Simon Horman" <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * I have not accounted for MSI devices/functions at this time,
>   but my understanding is that they don't need a GSI at all.
>   So it should be just a matter of giving them a device
>   and making sure nothing else uses it.

Depending on how critical your no-sharing-between-passthru-devices is, you
might need to be careful with this. Just because a device is MSI-capable
doesn't mean the guest OS will use it (I don't know how common that would be
in practice though!) -- generally there will be a legacy INTx operation mode
which you might want to consider allocating GSIs for. Just a point of
information.

 -- Keir