RE: [Xen-devel] Re: [RFC] RAS(Part II)--MCA enalbing in XEN

To: Christoph Egger <Christoph.Egger@xxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Re: [RFC] RAS(Part II)--MCA enalbing in XEN
From: "Jiang, Yunhong" <yunhong.jiang@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 00:15:04 +0800
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Gavin Maltby <Gavin.Maltby@xxxxxxx>, "Ke, Liping" <liping.ke@xxxxxxxxx>, "Frank.Vanderlinden@xxxxxxx" <Frank.Vanderlinden@xxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Kleen, Andi" <andi.kleen@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 08:15:34 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> For virtual MCEs that is ok. But note, for unmodified guests,
> the MC handler
> is written with the assumption that the CPU powers off when an #MCE
> happens before the handler cleared the MCIP bit in the MCG_STATUS MSR.

That should depends on implementation, for example, we can inject the vMCE one
by one, i.e. only inject next after the first is handled already.

>> For the contigous pages, I agree with Gavin that such contiguous page error
>> should be triggered as multiple #MC and so is ok.
>>
>> For PCI config space issue, Christoph, can you please share more
>> information on it (or provide some document as Frank suggested), like is it
>> for CE (Correctable error or UC(UnCorrectable error), is it in PCI range or
>> PCI-E range (i.e. through 0xCF8/CFC or through MMCONFIG), how the device's
>> BDF caculated etc. Followed is some of my understanding.
>
> I would like to see a generic solution that works with any feature
> requiring access to the pci space rather a per-feature solution.

I think the solution is , Xen care for MCE while dom0 care for CE error. Or
another solution is all PCI access for CPU RAS is done by Xen since Xen owns
CPU. ISome information like how the pci config space is arranged will be
helpful, I think.

Thanks
Yunhong Jiang