Re: [Xen-devel] [rfc 00/18] ioemu: use devfn instead of slots as the uni

To: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [rfc 00/18] ioemu: use devfn instead of slots as the unit for passthrough
From: Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 20:53:32 +1100
Cc: Yuji Shimada <shimada-yxb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 01:54:00 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 08:44:42AM +0000, Keir Fraser wrote:
> On 02/03/2009 04:14, "Simon Horman" <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >> That was what I had in mind in my original proposal.
> >> I'll try coding it up and see what it looks like.
> >
> > As per the patch below I tried coding this up.
> >
> > Unfortuantely in my test cases it seems that an rtl8139 ioemu device
> > doesn't work unless its given the same girq that the original mapping
> > yeilded.  I guess this is because the patch below isn't sufficient to wire
> > up the girq for the ioemu case. I am investigating why.
>
> Not really what I had in mind. Xend can do the GSI->slot mapping, to ensure
> non-conflicting GSIs. I don't think any hypervisor changes are required, let
> alone substantial ones.

Is the idea that xend would allocate a gsi to a device and
then pass that gsi along as part of the device configuration
to the device model?

If so, I think something similar to what I wrote, but moved
into xend could work quite well. But I sense that wasn't what
you had in mind either.

--
Simon Horman
  VA Linux Systems Japan K.K., Sydney, Australia Satellite Office