[Xen-devel] Re: xen drivers to use virtio?

To: Anthony Liguori <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: xen drivers to use virtio?
From: Jun Koi <junkoi2004@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 11:43:59 +0900
Cc: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 18:44:23 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=hlvH7BpgAwkvyzzjBs/kX+HmUH6zPvZ1avkG0GhXsCA=; b=tZNILUnp/86X16cNR893l68UkHF0gwDJnNiTSVVknbDS7mnA1WElGRu+tWwSor+SV5 nAhjfexzIh/JDR9Q7CIv/1iXBfFHzUILFFZFtDeq7VoIt53kdJ0d/7jsyVUO01eLDm3g byXfhhTzqFjZe954Jrh6aH5HV8p56b9ed5kOA=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 11:30 AM, Anthony Liguori <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
>>
>> Jun Koi wrote:
>>>
>>> If I understand correctly, we are going to rewrite some xen drivers in
>>> Linux kernel to use virtio once virtio is stable. Is that true?
>>>

>> There are no plans to do so.
>
> Actually, they're already there to some degree now that qemu-dm is tracking
> the upstream QEMU tree.  virtio support has been in the QEMU tree for some
> time now.  If it's not enabled in qemu-dm by default, it should be trivial
> to enable.  From Xend's perspective, virtio devices shouldn't be different
> from either rtl8139, e1000, etc.  It's just another PCI device.
>
> This model makes less sense in the context of stub domains, but if you're
> running qemu-dm in dom0, you may actually get reasonable performance out of
> the virtio drivers.
>
> In fact, comparing an HVM domain using virtio with qemu-dm in dom0 verses
> netfront ala PV-on-HVM would make for a very interesting comparison.
>
> And assuming PV-on-HVM isn't in upstream Linux yet (that appears to be the
> case) and virtio is, it may even be a practical thing to do.

OK, the current picture is getting more clear to me now. Thanks!
Jun