[Xen-devel] FW: Xen-devel mailing list probe message

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 17:05:07 +1100
Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 22:05:49 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am getting these occasionally. In this case it is because of an email
address of 'Gavin' in the CC line (not 'Gavin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx', just
'Gavin'). My mail server / spam filter takes one look at that and
rejects the email on the basis that it "Your message does not conform to
RFC2822 standard".

Can anything be done with the mailing list software to test for RFC
compliance and simply refuse to accept broken messages? That puts the
pressure back on the sender to fix up their email rather than on list
recipients to whitelist certain addresses? It's probably a big thing to
ask... or maybe it's just a configuration switch...

Thanks

James