Re: [Xen-devel] A question about "suspend-record frame number"

To: David Knight <dongwei.net@xxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] A question about "suspend-record frame number"
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 20:43:39 -0800
Delivery-date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 20:44:13 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The suspend-record provides information from the suspended guest to
xc_domain_save/restore in the toolstack, and then back to the restored
guest. You can't just do xc_domain_shutdown() from the tools because a PV
guest has to prepare itself for save/restore, and it wouldn't get the chance
to do that in that case. The suspend_and_state() got sped up a lot for
guests which support suspend notification via an event channel (rather than
going via xenstore, which is 100s of milliseconds slower typically).

 -- Keir