[Xen-devel] vpt periodic timer and vhpet

To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] vpt periodic timer and vhpet
From: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 11:55:15 +0800
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 19:56:58 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Just noted vpt create_periodic_time is now changed to require
two parameters: period and delta, by 18694 which ports vhpet
to vpt framework. I'm not quite clear the necessity here. It doesn't
matter whether 1st expiration must be accurately hit. vhpet
main counter and per-channel comparators are updated only
when guest tries to read. Is there any special tricks on hpet
since all other periodic timers are simply filling same value for
period and delta?

I ask because we're considering some proactive timer alignment
besides existing range timer, while above change seems to implicate
something that we may neglect.

Thanks,
Kevin