Re: [Xen-devel] [ANNOUNCE] xen ocaml tools

To: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [ANNOUNCE] xen ocaml tools
From: Patrick Colp <pjcolp@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 12:40:50 -0800
Cc: Thomas Gazagnaire <Thomas.Gazagnaire@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Vincent Hanquez <vincent.hanquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 12:41:16 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm really excited to see somebody else working on an OCaml XenStore! I was wondering if you could tell me what the difference are between this implementation and the one I recently released to the community?

I think it would be great if we could work together to merge our work so we can get the best of both worlds.

Patrick

Vincent Hanquez wrote:
Hi xen-devel,

I'm pleased to announce the availability of the Xen ocaml tools
repository. This contains for now, a fully rewritten version of xenstored,
which should be better than the C version available in the xen repository.

= License

This is part of an effort to try to opensource some Citrix internals
things that the open-source community could use and/or find useful. As such
all the code in this repository are licensed under the LGPLv2 with ocaml
static exception as common in the ocaml world. Please see the LICENSE file.

= Improvements (compared to C xenstored)

* scalability: transactions have a much better behavior in this version
 leading to significant improvements during aggressive use of xenstored
 and preventing possible guest xenstored DoS.
* no disk database: everything is cheaply stored in memory.
* small code base in a functional language.

= Getting the source

as easy as: hg clone http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext/xen-ocaml-tools.hg

= Building

You need to have a built xen, and a working ocaml compiler (native and
bytecode). if you don't have xen installed in /, you need to set
your env XEN_DIST_ROOT to the xen dist path (on bourne shell
export XEN_DIST_ROOT=/path/to/my/built/xen/dist/)

once you're there, typing make will build the binaries.

= Installing

ocaml xenstored is a drop in replacement of C xenstored, replacing
/usr/sbin/xenstored by the ocaml one will just works.
You also need to copy xenstored.conf in the xenstored directory on the destination at /etc/xen/.

Once you did that, you need to restart your host
(just like if you would want to restart C xenstored).

= Any problems

well, let us know, Thomas (CCed) and I, we'll be happy to help you solve problems that may arise.

Cheers,