RE: [Xen-devel] domains not shutting down properly - theproblemisback ag

To: "Keir Fraser" <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] domains not shutting down properly - theproblemisback again
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 21:48:03 +1100
Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 02:48:51 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On 02/01/2009 10:28, "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> >> Xenstored is supposed to receive a VIRQ_DOM_EXC when a domain is
> > killed
> >> (see xen/common/domain.c:domain_kill()
> >
> > Just added some more logging - domain_kill is never called either
until
> > I explicitly say 'xm destroy'
>
> That's expected. But you don't expect a domain to disappear until you
do
> 'xm
> destroy', unless you have on_{poweroff,destroy,crash} = destroy in
your
> domain config file. In which case the call to domain_kill() should be
made
> automatically by xend.
>
> Your problem is the domain doesn't disappear even after explicitly
doing
> 'xm destroy', right? That's the first thing to track down.

After an 'xm destroy', the domain no longer shows up in 'xm list', but
there is evidence of it still holding resources in 'xm debug q'.

The domain in question is purely a kernel. there is no initrd, no vif'd,
and no vbd's. It should start, crash, then disappear (on_crash =
'destroy'). The last bit doesn't happen though - it just stays in 'xm
list' until I 'xm destroy' it.

My suspicion is that the procedure that should happen automatically when
the domain crashes is hanging somewhere - an 'xm destroy' makes the
domain (mostly) go away, but because the orderly shutdown didn't happen,
resources are left, and don't go away until I kill xenstore.

James