[Xen-devel] Signalling DomU on TPR write

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Signalling DomU on TPR write
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 11:57:37 +1100
Delivery-date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 16:58:06 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Keir (and anyone else with an opinion on this :),

Given that you have suggested that patching from the hypervisor might
have synchronisation issues, my current thought on a mechanism for
signalling a DomU when a TPR write occurs is this:

. DomU allocates a page and makes a hypercall to the hypervisor saying
"put info about TPR writes here" and use this event channel to signal
me.

. When a TPR write occurs, the hypervisor fills in the entry in the
buffer nominated above and sets a flag. Until the flag is cleared, the
hypervisor does no further signalling.

. The guest sees the event (via the interrupt - same as any other
event), patches the kernel as appropriate, then clears the flag

. Repeat until all the places are patched.

Obviously a number of iterations will be required before all the
patching is done, but I don't think that's a problem. Patching would
occur in the DomU with all processors at HIGH_LEVEL (interrupts
disabled).

Does that sound acceptable?

Thanks

James