Re: [Xen-devel] Live Migration Across AMD and Intel

To: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Live Migration Across AMD and Intel
From: Thorolf Godawa <nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 11:53:46 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 02:54:06 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

> As far as I understand now it works in some particular (and rare)
> situations but it is not true in general.
mostly if you have one old and one modern CPU it works on one direction.

During some prototyping a while ago I was always able to migrate from an
old Intel P3-system to an "modern" AMD Athlon-system, while the way back
most times result in a crash of the VM.

But I had better success with Intel P4 and Intel Xeon CPUs (both with
first generation of HVM-support), where I could do migration on both
directions without any errors!
--

Chau y hasta luego,

Thorolf