[Xen-devel] RE: EPT walks for guest page table

To: bo ma <kyle.ma83@xxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] RE: EPT walks for guest page table
From: "Nakajima, Jun" <jun.nakajima@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:10:47 -0800
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "Xin, Xiaohui" <xiaohui.xin@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:11:30 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Even if the guest wants to read data or execute code, the guest page table may need to be modified for the processor to set the A bit when running with paging enabled. This means NPT or EPT needs to set the W permission for the guest page table pages to avoid VM exits or EPT violation. Depending on the implementation, the A bit may need to be set upfront even if the translation turns to be invalid.

Thanks,

Jun
---
Intel Open Source Technology Center