[Xen-devel] Block split device driver interface

To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Block split device driver interface
From: Francesco Fucci <frankiefucci@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 11:29:03 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 02:29:25 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello to everyone, i'm using Xen 3.1.3 on a RHEL 4.1 with a 2.6.18.8 kernel. I'm studying the interconnection between the linux filesystem and the blkfront, but it's not completely clear the linux's way of interfacing with the block frontend. I've analyzed the functions flush_requests,do_blkif_request,blkif_queue_request in relation with the ext3 do_sync_read and do_sync_write.My sperimentation has showed that the only blkfront's function that seems being correlated with the filesystem's function is flush_requests.The other ones are called at constant rate from the frontend. I would know,if it's possible, how linux ext3 filesystem communicates with blkfront.

Best regards

Francesco Fucci