Re: [Xen-devel] sse, mmx support for hvm guests

To: "Keir Fraser" <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] sse, mmx support for hvm guests
From: "Ashish Bijlani" <ashish.bijlani@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 03:28:46 -0400
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 00:29:08 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=ZVbRDW2wJe92C5IKhQoSJOaB/9xUUMmm2L0aucFIxPE=; b=KyL5Vq18kuEY0arcROma4MaPgnGYbot3fucJ3bG0cU2QwE8Of9TYjK5sK2uEapXQ42 6F0IBAF1nrHTpKPMXkIFN7cxbxnFd2lECoCWBrqvDW3A4FfkXvRKLiIQqlNQGpkF/fIn LW+Xqpkx3bNFAbZhThgW/1Wqqisr6tYGQJ6Tc=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

i'm working on a project that requires migration of a VM from a
sse/mmx capable x86 platform to an x86 platform without sse/mmx
capability. i want to emulate sse/mmu capability at runtime. one
option would be to let the hypervisor emulate sse/mmx functionality
upon trapping due to illegal instruction exception. however, i
believe. this would be really slow and defeats the purpose of sse/mmx.
i can take the emulation code from qemu/bochs. any idea on what could
be a better option in terms of performance? also, i'd like to know if
this is reasonble at all or am i missing something?

thanks,
ashish