RE: [Xen-devel] Problems with enabling hypervisor C and P-statecontrol

To: 'Keir Fraser' <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, 'Ian Pratt' <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Yu, Ke" <ke.yu@xxxxxxxxx>, Niraj Tolia <ntolia@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Problems with enabling hypervisor C and P-statecontrol
From: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 15:56:32 +0800
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "Liu, Jinsong" <jinsong.liu@xxxxxxxxx>, Xen Developers <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 04:13:08 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

calls to mp_register_lapic are initiated from acpi_parse_lapic,
which is a callback when one ACPI LAPIC entry is found. To
make it sorted, either delayed calls are required by caching
all found lapic entries, or re-order within mp_register_lapic.

Also how about BSP? If BSP is not thread0/core0/package0,
then all the rest sorting effort is just meaningless. :-(

>> Then you may need a temporary cpu id
>> allocated and then switch it to a real one later. This looks a bit
>> messed on some arrays[NR_CPUS]. Is it worthy of doing that way,
>> or just expose the mapping between xen cpu id and sockets/cores/
>> threads?
>
>The mapping between flat identifier and socket/core/thread
>should be made
>available, and/or modify tools to accept a hierarchical cpu
>identifier in
>addition to the old-style flat identifier.

This is necessary information. Is there any existing interface reporting
similar info? If not, could you suggest which interface to carry? Tools
like xenpm may need to query such infro to construct a better summary.
If it's not there, we can consider to add.

Thanks,
Kevin