[Xen-devel] Re: Interrupt to CPU routing in HVM domains - again

To: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: Interrupt to CPU routing in HVM domains - again
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 08:43:49 +0100
Cc: bart brooks <bart_brooks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 00:43:54 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I can absolutely assure you that only vcpu0's evtchn_pending flag influences
delivery of the xen_platform pci interrupt. In xen-unstable/xen-3.3, the
relevant function to look at is
xen/arch/x86/hvm/irq.c:hvm_assert_evtchn_irq(). It has always been this way.

In any case, there is only one interrupt line (currently), so there would
hardly be a scalability benefit to spreading out event channel bindings to
different vcpu selector words and evtchn_pending flags. :-)

The only thing I can think of (and should certainly be checked!) is that
some of your event channels are erroneously getting bound to vcpu != 0. Are
you running an irq load balancer or somesuch? Obviously event channels bound
to vcpu != 0 will now never be serviced, whereas before your changes you
would probabilistically 'get lucky'.

 -- Keir