[Xen-devel] Almost working iSCSI booting, need advice

To: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Stefan de Konink <skinkie@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Almost working iSCSI booting, need advice
From: jpranevich@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 17:35:40 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Stephan Seitz <s.seitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 14:36:08 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I've adapted the patch I sent yesterday to Xen 3.3.0. (Recent changes to
blkif.py and DevController.py had to be worked around. Mostly, just change some
over-zealous checks to let the code pass for now. Needs looked at later.)
Unfortunately, now I can only start one iSCSI mount. The second fails with
"device already in use" because /dev/null (my dummy device) was used by the
previous mount. (See the diff I sent yesterday for an explanation.) I can
comment out that check and get it to work, but that's not really a good idea
overall.

I'm committed to getting this to work and contributing to the community
whatever fixes are required. But, I need some help understanding how this
*should* work, so that I make changes in a way which are compatible with the
vision of the primary maintainers. Can anyone here recommend who I should email
about this? I'm new to this project and the lists and don't know all the right
names.

My big issue involves the creation of the dummy device. It's a chicken and egg
problem with create_vbd() that I'm not sure how to get around. (The hotplug
scripts have to run to get the device, but need the device to run the hotplug
script.) I may be able to fix that by simply writing the correct information to
the xenstore in the right places after I learn them, but I don't know what
places need updating for the different parts of Xen. (I also haven't tested
this with Xen-API or migrations, so I may discover more problems if I'm not
structuring this in the right way.)

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Joe